Monday, March 24, 2008

Pandan Penitence

A few days back, I had this itinerary: Quezon City- Bauan Batangas-Batangas Pier-Abra de Ilog- Sablayan-Pandan Island. The highlight was the last leg of the trip. From the "sabang" to Pandan Island, I took a motor boat armed with a backpack, goggles, a snorkel, and a tent. Once I got to the island, I ignored the Europeans along the beach and went along a secret path which only I, and a very few privileged others, know. It was the path to penitence, island style.


As far as I am concerned, the "penitensya" should be a means of remembering that all the suffering has already been borne by Jesus Christ for all of us. We are not to duplicate what He went through. A little thorn through one's foot would be sufficient. My right foot was given the honor. An aroma tree along the way provided the torn. As an added measure, I made a small cut on my pointing finger.


The most important thing to remember is this: Christ died and was resurrected on the 3rd day. Without this resurrection, Christianity won't have a foundation to stand on. This was my main reflection as I stayed alone in a secluded part of the island.


These are my other serious reflections:

  • the waters of Pandan island are so clear and inviting.
  • the pawikan has found a safe haven in Pandan, I hope this doesn't change.
  • tatay's tent does not have the frame to support it, I need to look for a place to sleep.
  • I miss Jollibee.

The time I had on the Island was worth every second. In fact, if you ask me now, I can tell you the exact number of seconds I stayed there. I never even looked at my watch. From time to time, I just checked if it was still working.

Eventually, I found the Swiss Family Robinson's Hut where I was welcomed by their butler, Mang Teody. He had an extra hammock which I tied to a tree a few steps from the shore. The sleep I had under the full moon right along the shore with the sea breeze humming softly was surreal. I woke up many times. Every two hours of sleep felt like I already had a full night's rest. The warm sun woke me up. And of course, island-style, the butler came and served me pandesal and coffee.

2 comments:

Frustrated Homemaker said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Frustrated Homemaker said...
This comment has been removed by the author.